Saturday, February 4, 2012

I've had a wonderful weekend of studying and discovering hidden treasures in the Word of God, as I've attended Torah studies. To see how God has woven his pictures of Messiah throughout His Word is like eating a many-layered dessert bar and finding out what's hidden inside...and tasting and seeing it's good! This week's Torah portion covered the parting of the Red Sea. We spoke about the pillar of fire that went before the Israelites as they crossed the Red Sea that the Lord had divided. Someone said it's like a torch the Lord was holding before His people. And in a flash I saw the torch that travelled between the divided pieces of a heifer, a goat and a ram that Abraham had placed before the Lord when God spoke to him in a deep sleep about the captivity of his descendants in Egypt, and God's plan to rescue them from their captor's hand. No doubt there was a "red sea" of blood between them, and that is where the torch travelled as God spoke of His future deliverance of His people. He had painted a picture for Abraham of the Pillar of Fire that travelled before the Israelites as they crossed the divided Red Sea! That just amazed me!  Another parallel I saw was how it was through the blood on the doorposts of the Hebrew peoples' houses that they were saved from the angel of death, and it was through the water of immersion, or baptism into the Red Sea that they were truly set free from their enemies. And so it was blood and water that flowed from Yeshua's side when he was pierced. We need them both to be cleansed from our sin and delivered from our old way of life.
I feel sorry for the many people who love the Lord, but have been told to throw the Old Testament out as if it's obsolete and no longer applicable to their lives. Yeshua said in Matthew 5:17-20 that He did not come to abolish the Law and the Prophets, but to fulfill them...that is fill them up with meaning.  The Old Testament is part of the "root" that supports our faith that is spoken of in Romans 11:18. I would encourage anyone who wants to discover and uncover the treasures of His Word and revelation of the Messiah, to study the portions of the Old Testament that are given weekly as Torah readings. They truly are treasure troves worth digging into to find the hidden things inside! 
The Lord once gave me a poem that was an invitation to uncover and discover Him. This is it:

Oh, my Love, I am longing, I am longing for my Bride.
Do you, can you know how I long to have her by My side?
If an ache could be a river, and a longing be a tree,
Then there are roots within Me that go down into the sea.
I long to bare My heart to you, to show you what is there.
There are treasures, hidden treasures;
Will you find them? Will you dare?
Forgiven, you are holy, sanctified and cleansed from sin.
There's no need to wipe your feet before you enter in.

May we all be blessed in our treasure hunting! Till next time...Shalom.

2 comments:

  1. I needed very badly to read the poem. It will help me pray for someone who knows all of the above in their head, but is missing it in their heart.

    I also value the treasure troves in Torah; deeply. Thank you for sharing, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete